Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thoughts and Things...

It's 11:56 p.m. My eyes are so dry and tired that blinking has actually become a chore! :) I need to get to bed so that I can get up tomorrow and do it all over again, but some days are so good that you hate for them to end!
Today was an odd one...it began when the one barrette that will actually hold all my hair up decided to disappear. It never occurs to me to buy an extra one for times such as these, and since I wear my hair up to work, a lost barrette means a late morning! Ugh! I finally found it (right where I left it, of course), and hurried the kiddos into the van for the short ride to school. As I was backing out of the driveway, I realized that my speedometer wasn't working. It just so happens that the area in which we live, as well as the area in which the school is located are target areas for cops with nothing else to do but pull over people who are minimally breaking the limits. Fortunately, I made it through the day without little blue and red lights flashing in my back window, but now I have to try it again tomorrow...
After arriving at school, my co-worker told me that a UPS shipment containing some of our program props and costumes, which was scheduled to arrive yesterday, was still on the UPS truck and would not arrive until this evening (program was tonight). No problem...after 12 years of school programs, our nerves are too fried to even work!
The day was spent in fervent practice. 26 happy, energetic kids, full of life and a little bit of mischief sang their hearts out, and many of them left school exhausted and with barely a speaking voice thanks to colds, sinus problems, and a full day of vocal exertion.
Of course there was more to do after the "day" ended, but some girls who have learned to be responsible helpers lightened my load considerably, and brought smiles and joy into the weariness! Even though our props didn't arrive until just before 7 p.m. (giving us about 30 minutes to get things together), and we weren't able to make everything happen just as we had planned, the moments that followed were priceless. I will cherish the memories of tonight, the faces of the children, forever. They are worth it...a thousand times over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!