Thursday, June 14, 2012

Sitting here...



Imagine that. We've been at youth camp for 3 full days, and I'm already feeding the washers with quarters. :-)

After a four year "time out" from PYC, I find myself back this year with a first-time camper. Ryan is finally able to experience what I look back upon as some of my absolute favorite summer memories.

I am aways intrigued when I see my children in new environments. I love to sense their emotions, observe their behaviors, and anticipate their reactions.

And trust me...this week has been full of sensing, observing, and anticipating. I've learned learned a lot about my son, and maybe even more about myself.

During last night's afterglow, as I was in the camper straightening and reorganizing (for about the hundredth time), my ears picked up a sweet sound coming from the nearby field. I paused to listen, and was overwhelmed with the harmony of 144 teens (along with a bunch of college kids and camp staff) lifting this prayer our Father...

Change my heart, Oh God,
Make it ever true.
Change my heart, Oh God,
May I be like You.

You are the Potter,
I am the clay.
Mold me and make me,
This is what I pray.

Change my heart, Oh God,
Make it ever true.
Change my heart, Oh God,
May I be like You.

This is why we believe in church camp. The recreation is great, the food is good, and the friendships are valued, but the concentrated spiritual emphasis and atmosphere has an effect that is eternal. It's worth every dime spent, every vacation day taken, every annoyance endured, and yes, even every trip to the laundromat.

So here's to you, Coin Laundry! By this time next week, you'll be my new bff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!