Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Scattered Thoughts on a Tuesday...

Although the calendar for this week is full and running over, I'm afforded a little time out of the saddle because of a feverish, coughing child who wasn't quite up to being in school today.  Of course, I'm sad for her that she feels bad, and I'm doing everything I can to help her recover quickly, but I'm also going to make good on the change of routine and enjoy it a little bit! 

There is nothing like the smell of a fresh pot of coffee to set the tone for a quiet, inside kind of day. The crackle of my wooden wick candle (a Christmas gift that I haven't been able to sit and enjoy) provides some contrast to the fierce winter wind that is giving us chills near zero today.  Had we been living in either of our two previous homes, I would have built a roaring fire in the woodburning fireplace.  We've debated installing a gas or electric model here, but somehow the substitute doesn't even seem to compare.  So...I'll enjoy the small flame and the crackle of my candle.

It's hard to believe that yesterday brought us fifty degree temps and bright sunshine.  Even though I was indoors, the open windows brought me a taste of spring and helped me forge through several totes of unused clothes in preparation for resale or donation.  If I'm not mistaken, I'm completely finished with all of the totes that I had put in the basement when we moved here!  I would be totally pumped, except that I still have an enormous closet upstairs that is full, and then that garage...oh my,  that garage!  Anyway, we'll get there. 

Along the lines of decluttering, I have a little struggle when it comes to purging.  I see value in the things that we no longer want or need, and so I want to receive a bit of a return on it through garage sale or consignment.  Sometimes, though, I just need the immediate sense of progress by getting rid of the clutter.  Yesterday I had to ask myself what would make me feel more accomplished: getting 25 cents out of an item, or donating it and having it gone?  I ended up sorting a box for children's consignment, a bag for a Craiglist bulk listing, and a box for the thrift store with itemized contents so that I could get a receipt.  I have never taken a receipt for this type of donation, but being a church employee and paying my own S.S. taxes makes it more of an incentive for me to document everything - especially if this is going to be a big donation year (crossing my fingers!). 

On a more personal note, for the last several weeks my mind has been heavily weighted with a burden to see God do something amazing.  I'm craving a personal revival. I know that it all depends on me.  God is ready.  He's waiting on me to become desperate before Him.  Less of me, more of Him.  That is my prayer.  It is so easy to become worldly without even realizing it, and God has been showing me inconsistencies in my life that may be small, yet have an impact on my Christan witness.  It's so freeing to just let go of anything that distracts me from ultimate fellowship with Him!  If you find yourself consumed by something...anything...that would distract you from your responsibilities as a Christ follower, I encourage you to re-evaluate your priorities (what is getting the biggest piece of your time and energy?), and ask God to order them for you.  One of the benefits of spiritual maturity is a trust that God has our best interest at heart.  He sees the big picture.  He knows what part of us needs to outlive us.  And He will be faithful to take our small contribution and multiply it a thousand times over. 

"He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver...and purge them as gold and silver,
that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in rightousness."
 
Malachi 3:3

Thanks for sharing in this conversation and reading through my ramblings.  I'll try to update the family blog today in between working on the school yearbook.  Oh, the benefits of the internet!  :-)

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about the sickness but hope you enjoy your day "off."

    I got a WoodWick candle for my birthday and am LOVING it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!