Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Crack Really Can Kill...

your summer, that is!  Especially if you land on your face and break a leg! LOL!  Do you realize how many cracks are in sidewalks?  Practically every walking surface is like one big accident waiting to happen! Believe me...I notice them all now. 

I'm tempted to start hoarding away money into an "in case it ever happens again" account. Seriously, if I'm ever again in a cast, all I ask for is a handicap accessible guest house on Mackinac Island.  I could ride my scooter to the lake every day, and enjoy being unable to do anything else.  :-)

Yes, please!
Ah, back to reality...

I have been in a cast almost seven weeks now.  When I went to my last appointment on June 1st, the doc took my stitches out and my lime green cast was replaced with a pretty purple.  My incisions looked so much better!  I didn't have x-rays at that visit, so it's hard to tell exactly what's going on under the skin, but it feels like it is healing properly. 

My little attempt at humor could leave the wrong impression.  My summer is as busy as any I've ever lived.  Thanks to the generosity of people who care about me, I have all of the equipment I need to do the things I really want to do.  As I write, I'm sitting in my camper in Frankfort, IN.  Church camp is the highlight of my year, and I look forward to spending two weeks away from normal demands to focus on spiritual growth and fellowship.  One gentleman made a huge set of steps for the entry door of our RV.  Each step is 20" deep, allowing plenty of space for my walker.  He made the step height and grade so that there would be minimal difficulty for me to navigate them alone.  My sister-in-law's mom had an awesome knee scooter sitting in her barn, and she offered it to me.

Meet my best friend.  :-)

Another friend brought a golf cart for me to use to get from building to building on this rather spread out campground.   I''m so blessed to have these tools that make my life 110x easier!

And the good news is that July 1st, at 2 p.m., I will hopefully be able to transition to a walking boot!  Yeah, I know...they're bulky and ugly.  But hey, have you ever gone 7.5 weeks without shaving one leg?  Ewww...I'm ready!!!

1 comment:

  1. All I can say is...please take me with you! That picture looks rather inviting right now. :) Can't wait for you to be walking again...I learned a little of what you have to go through on a daily basis with being with you last week. You're amazing, sis. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!