Monday, September 24, 2012

One Bite At A Time...

As of today, there are 26 days left before we turn the keys for our home over to the new owner.  Lots of people have been asking if we're all packed, etc., and I just laugh...if most people knew the extent of the work that must happen over the next 26 days, they would put our family pretty close to the top of their prayer list.  :-)

I don't know how it is for you, but my greatest temptation for worry comes at night, when the lights are out, the kids are asleep, and everything is quiet.  Last night was no exception.  I'm thinking...26 days, but....
  • three are Sundays
  • one is ACE Convention (7 a.m.-9 p.m.) for me
  • one concert - could skip
  • one WOW mtg - could skip if I have to
  • 2-day WOW retreat (would back out, but have to attend a mtg. or two at the retreat)
  • mandatory Saturday mtg. at work for Greg
  • one fundraiser banquet (hosting a table, so can't skip)
  • 3 Wed church services
  • the last day of possession we are headed out of town to see family
  • need a couple of days before possession to thoroughly clean the house and touch up paint so that the buyers (who are 79 years of age) can just move right in
  • no days off work for either of us during this 26 day period
Then I have to consider that the carpet installers will need two days at the house, the hardwood floors will take several days between staining, sealing, etc., and a couple of the remaining projects are large.

But instead of freaking out, I'm going back to the words of one of my college professors who always told us, "Eat your elephant one bite at a time."  Although the phrase wasn't original with her, she used it to calm the nerves of most every student when they received the syllabus for one of her classes.  So, I've printed a calendar, numbered the remaining days, and set daily goals for myself.  If I stay on track, things should be completed on time. 

I'm looking forward to today's goal: painting the girls room.  All the patching is done, and I already applied a coat of Kilz, so now the colors go down!  For a couple of reasons, I had to keep this room fairly neutral in color.  Balancing that with the wishes of a "colorful" eight-year-old wasn't easy, but we settled on a muted pink for the top half, white on all trim, and a neutral tan for the bottom half.  I think this will give me enough flexibility for decorating, and go nicely with the girls' white furniture.

Hopefully, I'll have a pic of that progress to share with you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!