Friday, November 2, 2012

Proud. Free. American.

image


This season has my red, white, and blue blood running a little thicker and warmer than usual.  I love America, and contrary to some, I believe she and her God-given foundation and values are worth a fight.  And to me, this last political year has felt like a fight.

Both of my grandfathers served in WWII combat, and they made tremendous sacrifices physically, emotionally, and relationally to protect and defend the USA.  They actively loved our country, and because of them and a host of others, our great nation is free and has been the catalyst to helping others find or retain freedom.

Few things are more stirring and exciting to me than political rallies.  Yep, I've been to more than a few:

Gerald Ford

Ronald Reagan

George H.W. Bush
 
George W. Bush
I love hearing from men who have a passion to lead our country.  Yes, they all have faults.  They aren't talented in every single one of the areas that they are depended upon to lead.  Who is, really?  But when a man comes along who is willing to lead by example, uphold our Constitution, and keep America safe, he is a hero to me.

John McCain
I even took my four kids (which included a 9-month-old) to see this patriot.  I wasn't ever really hyped about the possibility of him being our president, but tears were rolling down my face as we sat inside the civic center and listened to him tell stories of American heroism, and the promise of our country's history and its future.  I hoped that my sons would one day have the courage of Mr. John McCain.

Today, America is in a time of crisis.  After the 2008 election, I completely lost hope for our current generation of voters, and the integrity of the ballot.  This spring, as the primary election came and went, my hopes didn't rise as much as I would have liked, but I began to sense an undercurrent which has since become a tidal wave of voters determined to do their part to bring America back to her liberties.


Because of our move this fall, we did something unusual and voted early.  Although it was a little anticlimactic (who wants to wait several weeks to hear the results?), it felt good to exercise my rights as an American woman at the ballot box.  I hope you'll do the same sometime between now and November 6th. 

Today our current president is giving a speech seven blocks from our house.  Although I respect his office and it's historical to be in the same room with a president, I'm so saddened by his disrespect for our country, his disdain for Christianity, and his neglect of human life - whether military, elderly, or unborn -  that I have no desire to be within a country mile of the place. I won't sit and argue about it...facts are facts, and what I know scares me.  What scares me more is that there is plenty I don't know.  So, I'm gonna go ahead and get political here...whatever you feel about electing a Mormon, etc., please get on your knees and pray, become educated about facts, and vote for the man who most closely aligns himself with the principles of God's Word.  Our children's future is at stake...and that's not just a political talking point, it's the dead honest truth.


image


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!