Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Morning After...

***I composed most of this post November 7th, but it didn't make it past draft.  I felt that I should go ahead and share it even though it's late.

Apparently I didn't have that nauseating feeling in my stomach all day yesterday for nothing.  My confidence in the American voter was weak at best, and I'm not surprised that, as a nation, we are getting what we deserve. 

Yes, I'm sad and fearful, but I'm also fired up to stand for freedom and continue to do what I'm doing every single day, only with more passion and more commitment. 

But this time I'm going to follow the admonition of 1 Timothy 2:1-2 (ESV): "First of all then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may live a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way."

How am I going to pray for President Obama?  Here's my list:
  • that God will soften and change his hardened heart
  • that he will come under conviction for his sins
  • that in his sleep he will have nightmares of aborted babies pleading for his help
  • that he will waffle back to his 2008 statement that marriage should be between a man and a woman - and then quit waffling and develop a firm belief
  • that he will feel the need to be truthful with the American people about his past
  • that he will have an awakening to truth - something with which he hasn't been too familiar for most of his life
During this presidential campaign, I really came to appreciate (from afar) the Romney family and their contribution to this nation.  Although I'm saddened that we will not get a chance to see what a President Romney could do for this country, we must move past our disappointments and prepare to stand for righteousness, freedom, truth, and justice - maybe in a way that takes much more energy than ever before.

This election season has been a huge learning experience for my kids.  Because they are blessed to be able to learn real history (rather than some humanistic text writer's twist), they are relating what they learn to what is actually happening right now, and connecting the dots rather easily.  Ryan is studying FDR, and he is blown away by the similarities in principle and policy, and he is learning how history, unfortunately, repeats itself.

In the recent edition of the Answer's In Genesis newsletter, Ken Ham relates the words of an atheist who visited the Creation Museum in 2009:  "For me, the most frightening part was the children's section.  It was at this moment that I learned the deepest lesson of my visit to the Museum..."  He added: "It is in the minds and hearts of our children that the battle will be fought!" 

Let's face it, people, the enemy knows that if they win this battle, it will be through the minds of the children.  After 40+ years of brainwashing in education, we are reaping huge consequences.  Adolph Hitler wrote, "He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future."  And that's exactly how he did it. 

Most importantly, the thing I always knew but now know better is that spending effort convincing someone to vote for a candidate may have short term benefits; however, leading them to Jesus Christ and allowing Him to change their hearts will not only shape their values and world view, but it will also create a positive impact on all of those that their life is able to reach. 

The greatest privilege I have had in recent days is to lead someone to the Lord Jesus Christ.  My prayer is that each of us will be able to reach another, and through that effort truly turn our nation back to Christ.

I close this post with the word to a hymn that my husband led in worship Sunday morning -

God of grace and God of glory,
On Thy people pour Thy pow'r.
Crown Thine ancient Church's story;
Bring her bud to glorious flow'r.
Grant us wisdom, grant us courage
For the facing of this hour, for the facing of this hour.
 
Lo! the hosts of evil round us
Scorn Thy Christ, assail His ways!
Fears and doubts too long have bound us;
Free our hearts to work and praise.
Grant us wisdom, grant us courage
For the living of these days, for the living of these days.
 
Cure the people's warring madness;
Bend our pride to Thy control. 
Shame our wanton, selfish gladness -
Rich in things and poor in soul.
Grant us wisdom, grant us courage,
Lest we miss Thy kingdom's goal, Lest we miss Thy kingdom's goal.
 
Set our feet on lofty places;
Gird our lives that they may be
Armored with all Christlike graces
In the fight to set men free.
Grant us wisdom, grant us courage
That we fail not man nor Thee!  That we fail not man nor Thee!

~H.E. Fosdick, 1930~
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!