Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Just Thankful...

A few weeks ago, some very special people came to Lima on a Sunday morning to thank my parents for the tremendous influence that they had upon their young lives. Like many other GBS students, my parents worked at Main St. mission, dad being the pastor for 3 or 4 years. I won't go into all the details, but I was astounded that a family of 6 siblings, all adults now in their 40's or early 50's would call me to say that wanted to plan a surprise celebration, and then follow through and give their appreciation in such a touching way...



Today is my dad's 39th spiritual birthday, and often I'm reminded of how different my life would be if it weren't for that milestone in his life. He wouldn't have married my mother, which means I wouldn't be here (at least in current genetic form) but more than that, I wouldn't have had the chance to live the wonderful life that God has given me. I don't mean that my life would have been bad, for God gives each of us the opportunity to accept His gift, but it would have been drastically different. Since I love the life He has given me, I'm so thankful that Wednesday, September 29th, 1971 found my dad on his knees at the altar in a humble little country church in Asbury, IL, and I'm thankful that dad accepted the call to preach, which he had received 13 years earlier as a 5-year-old boy. Every choice from that time to this has impacted my life, and I'm grateful for parents who have been sensitive to the gentle leadings of the Holy Spirit.

I hope you often think about the people who were God's instruments in your life, and I hope that we all realize the power of our influence, and understand that our decisions, even the small ones, always reach further than we would ever dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!