Thursday, April 26, 2012

Hospitality and a Refreshing Spring Dessert

If you need a dessert that will feed a small crowd, check out this easy recipe here.  Look for a great veggie version later this week! 

My mom and I recently had a conversation regarding hospitality, and I've been more than a little convicted about my lack of attention to this Biblical theme.  Oh, there's always an excuse:
  • The house is dirty.
  • The kids are tired.
  • I'm tired.
  • My husband is tired.
  • My dining room table seats only 6.
  • We're so busy.
  • People probably don't really want to feel obligated to come to our house, and if we ask, they'll surely feel obligated.
  • My furniture is old, and splitting at the seams.
  • My kids might do something off the wall and embarrass me.
  • People might not like my food.
I want to think that God laughs at our petty excuses, but in reality, they probably make Him cry.  It's easy for Christians to link arms with the rest of selfish America, and keep our front doors locked tight and the blinds closed.  Obviously, the church is succumbing...if you don't think so, pay attention the next time your church hosts a 50+ member choir overnight.  See how many homes open up to host a college student.  God cries, I'm sure. 

So, I'm gonna do better.  We're gonna do better!  Remember, God doesn't ask us to entertain, He challenges us to show hospitality.  The dictionary definition of hospitality is as follows:


1. the friendly reception and treatment of guests or strangers.
2. the quality or disposition of receiving and treating guests and strangers in a warm, friendly, generous way.

I don't read anything into this definition, other than simply showing people the love of Christ.  Why do we make it so difficult?  Hospitality benefits both the giver and the receiver.  Often, the roles end up being reversed, with the giver receiving an even bigger blessing. 

Over the next few days, I plan to share some posts concerning the why, who, where, when, and how of hospitality.  I'm not an expert, just simply a woman who wants to bless others with what has been given to me.

If you would like to check out my mom's article on hospitality on this month's Pilgrim Pastor's Wives page, click here.

"When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them.  Always be eager to practice hospitality."
Romans 12:13 (NLT)

"Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling."1 Peter 4:9 (NIV)

"Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it!"Hebrews 13:2 (NLT)

***Feel free to share your favorite easy hospitality meal, or ways that you have overcome Satan's lies and received God's blessings regarding hospitality. I'd love to hear your perspective, and I'm sure others would, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!