Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Kaitlynn bursts in the door from school today hollering, "Mom, are ya feeling any better?  You look TERRIBLE!"  Yes, my blondie has a way of calling things just like she sees 'em.  I can add that to a complement from one of the boys last week, "Mom, you need some sleep.  Your eyes are all black underneath."  It's a good thing I don't derive my sense of self esteem from them...I'd probably be half way to suicide by now.  :-)
In Kaitlynn's defense, I'm sure I do look terrible.  I guess I just need to find a way to teach her to gently break the truth.  That will net her more friends, I'm sure. 

Unfortunately, what I thought was a little upset stomach after lunch yesterday turned into a nasty virus that still hasn't run its course.  When I went to school yesterday morning, I had my usual bottled Starbucks drink (I know, I know), and gave four piano lessons.  Pretty soon it was lunch, and I had some leftovers from the weekend.  By 2:30 in the afternoon, I was attending a committee mtg at the vocational school around the corner, and things started feeling really weird.  I dashed down to the vending machine to grab a Coke, thinking I just needed something to settle things a bit, but things never  settled, and I flew home with the kids after school to do a two-hour cleaning blitz on the house (we had a 6 o'clock showing).  With trembling hands, a sick stomach, and a cold sweat, I helped Greg make beds, dust the furniture, clean the floors, and all the other necessary "make it look good" techniques, and we finished just as the potential buyers pulled into the driveway.  After spending half-an-hour with them, I was at the end of my endurance, and hit the bed! 

26 hours later, I'm not feeling as well as I had hoped, but I'm thankful for all of the texts of encouragement that I have received from my friends and family today!  One friend even brought a delicious dinner of homemade chicken-n-noodles, mashed potatoes, sweet corn, and brownies for my family.  I think that bringing a meal is one of the most thoughtful things someone can do for a person who is grieving, sick, or recovering, and our church is amazing when it comes to this type of care.  Bless you all.  :-)

As you can imagine, the last couple of weeks have been a whirlwind of emotion.  I have had many "firsts" during this time, and my next few posts will probably be in reference to my grandmother who recently passed away.  I understand that not everyone gets how difficult a loss like this would be, so please know that my thoughts are more for me than for anyone else.  My grandma and I have always been very close, even more so within the last five years that she was living in my parent's home.  Through this time, the memories have surfaced like never before, and it has been a time of real emotional bonding within our family. I'm so thankful that my brother and sister live close and were able to share some really special moments with grandma in the last hours of her life.  Although we showed her our love regularly, we were able to spend as many moments as we wanted there in the hospital telling her our hearts.  That was a blessing. 

Now that I have myself in tears again, I'll leave you with a picture of Eric and I with our cousin, Chris Nichols.  Since grandma did not communicate anymore after Chris arrived, we hope that she could at least hear all of our reminiscing.  Had she been able, she would have been shaking with laughter.  Her giggle was so contagious!

A very late night/early morning at St. Rita's Medical Center
~Eric, Stephanie, Chris~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!